The emerging Internet of Things (IoT) technologies and businesses are estimated to be worth £322bn to the UK economy alone by 2020(1). The national IoTUK Boost programme from the Digital Catapult and Future Cities Catapult is designed to support the development of IoT enabled products, services, and applications from UK small to medium sized companies and entrepreneurs. High Tech Bristol and Bath CIC, together with Engine Shed, SETsquared Bristol, and the University of the West of England, Bristol have come together to deliver this support locally.
A key part of this support is working with innovative Small and Medium sized Enterprises (SME) to boost their entrepreneurial ideas. We held a successful technical day as part of Voxxed Days Bristol (2 March 2017), and followed this with a day on developing a proposition and improving your pitching (3 March 2017). This culminated in companies pitching their ideas for IoTUK Boost support.
The full process included an online formal application to SETsquared Bristol and an interview with SETSquared Bristol and the University of the West of England, Bristol.
SETsquared has been recognised as the global leader in delivering university-led business incubation(2).
The benefits on offer to IoTUK Boost companies include:
- coaching – two experienced Entrepreneur in Residence specialising in technology-focused
- business development
- mentoring – SMEs will be able to choose a mentor from our network who is a right fit for their business
- advisor in residence clinics (professional service firms and services)
- extensive workshop programme
- investor readiness training
- events (including investment showcase)
- business review panels
- supportive community
- representation on website
- access to our extended community and global network (investors and corporates)
- reception service
- access to Engine Shed Business Lounge
The successful companies that will now benefit from the above are (alphabetically):
|Lemonpeel Controls||LuJam Security Ltd|
|Studio Meineck||TrustWeave Ltd|
We wish all the entrepreneurs the best for the future and trust they will make the most of their experiences in the IoTUK Boost programme.
We still have capacity to support up to 3 more entrepreneurial companies, so to be part of this exciting programme contact us for more information on: IoTUK_Boost@hbb.org.uk
- ‘The value of big data and the Internet of Things to the UK economy’ – by the Centre for Economics and Business Research (Cebr) and SAS (2016); http://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/en_gb/doc/analystreport/cebr-value-of-big-data.pdf
- IoTUK Boost programme is available to any small to medium sized firm in the UK that has an innovative product or service for the Internet of Things. To apply for SETsquared Bristol support you do not have to have a University Partner or be a University spin-out. See the SETsquared website for full details. http://www.setsquared.co.uk/apply
- HellyHolly: HellyHolly – smart assistance for busy families.
- IoLt Ltd: CLWB enables the accelerated learning of technology, industry processes, STEM subjects, and 21st Century Skills.
- Lemonpeel Controls: Smart building controls for small to medium commercial buildings with complex weekly schedules who need a better way to turn their heating, lighting or ventilation on at the right times.
- LuJam Security Ltd: The Threat from Cyber Security is sky-rocketing and SMEs do not have the means to mitigate the latest risks. The Business provides an innovative real-time solution based on a subscription model that protects your network and all devices attached to it. Furthermore, the user receives jargon free alerts and daily summaries reporting cyber security threats and risks.
- Studio Meineck: Studio Meineck creates carefully considered, award-winning social design. Designed with people, rather than for people. Working closely with charities, academics and arts organisations, we facilitate workshops with a view to giving a voice to vulnerable groups in society. Drawing on the discussions enabled by these workshops and an approach that blends craft, technology and social design, we work towards tackling the problems that these groups face by developing award winning products.
- TrustWeave: TrustWeave Ltd designs innovative Internet of Things (IoT) based products and services with security and privacy as founding principles.
- Zoetrope: Zoetrope is an IoT company providing both consultancy and new product development services for companies of all sizes. We develop solutions in partnership with our clients which enable coherent and connected products. Zoetrope is launching a new packaged solution for rapid deployment of IoT for integration with existing products developed by SMEs. We call this
- ZConnect. We’ve worked with a multitude of organisations including e.on (smart home product development), the GSMA (consulting), Action on Hearing Loss (prototyping) and Ambie (product development)